Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Day with Bikes

Well our project for yesterday was to find Ares a bike.  We normally don't buy bikes unless it's for a birthday(Xavier and Isaac at the beginning of the summer due to winter birthdays), but the events leading up to this bike are just another day in our crazy lives.
We have 6 children's bikes around our house.  We have Xavier's 20", Ares has a 16", Isaac and Marshall both have 12" bikes(Marshall's still with training wheels that are suppose to come off on his 5th birthday in one week).  Plus we have a brand new 16" bike in the shed for Marshall to grow into (His grandparents got it for a birthday present a few years ago) and we have another old 12" bike for spare parts.  We try not to buy new bikes until they get to the 20" ones cause they seem to grow out of the smaller ones so fast.
This spring we noticed that Ares and Isaac where going to be in need of new bikes by the end of the summer, so with me on unemployment we decided to wait till this fall closer to Ares' birthday.  Ares would get a new bike and we would fix up his old one for Isaac.  That was the plan for this fall.
It all started last Thursday.  I was in the back yard with Xavier and the other 3 where out riding bike.  All of a sudden we heard what sounded like a rock being hitting Mark's truck.  I ran to the front to see what happened and as I'm questioning the 3 boys about the noise, I notice Marshall's bike doesn't seem right.  Here his back tire had popped.  He has a new bike but he is still too little for it so it sits in the shed till he gets bigger.  Well the tire on his old bike needs to be fixed, Isaac's bike had new tires from last summer, but we didn't have money for a new bike to start switching all of them to different bikes (plus I think Mark forgot the plan).  Mark said that he would fix the problem, so I took Ares and Marshall out to my moms for flowers. When we got back, Mark had went and bought Marshall new tires.  He was ranting that they costed him $50.  Well the bike got fixed and we just cut our loses.
Then Friday, I went outside to check on the kids and noticed Ares' back tire was now flat.  Great we had just bought 2 new tires for Marshall and now Ares need some too.  I ask if him and Xavier could share Xavier's bike till we could fix Ares'.  Well I went up to see how much his tires were going to cost so I new how much I needed out of my check.  I looked at the tires and sure enough another $50.  But when I turned around I noticed that they had a new bike for sale for $50.  So I figured now was as good a time as any to get him a new bike, since both fixes costed the same.
The only problem is, now we have new tires on two of the little bikes and a new bike for Ares, but we still need new tires for Ares' old 16" so Isaac can get the next size bike.  Why couldn't Ares' tire pop first?
 Ares on his new bike.
Then when we got home with the new bike I figured I had time to practice with Marshall, without his training wheels since next week they were coming off for good.  I took them off and when I turned around this is what I saw:
No more training wheels.  YEAH!!!!!
After all this the boys sent majority of the day riding their bikes.  Ares and Marshall practicing their new rides.

No comments: