Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What I Like About You

Yesterday I finished my last book from the library, so now I am waiting for Xavier to finish his last one so we can go back and get more.
We had a very productive day yesterday.  We did 2 projects, plus I got my kitchen clean, found some new project ideas for the boys, got my yearly credit report, watched my shows and even had time for a shower.  I would say I got some energy somewhere.
Today's list is just as long so I thought I would get up early to get most of it done, but what do you know, even at 6:30 in the morning Xavier still beats me out of bed.  I guess I should enjoy it now because in a year or two he isn't going to want to get up. 
These projects are very simple and not too much of a mess.  Marshall and Ares didn't seem to enjoy the not messy part.  They aren't much into the projects unless they are messy.  Xavier and Isaac sat there the whole time and even wanted to do more.

Recycled Flower Pots
What you need:
Plastic milk jug
Tissue paper
Felt
Scissors
Glue
Water
Bowl
Paintbrush

What to do:
1. Cut the top of the jug off, just under the handle.
2. Cut tissue paper into 1" squares.
3. Mix 2 parts glue and 1 part water in a bowl.
4. Paint glue mixture onto one side at a time, of the outside of the jug.
5. Decoupage the tissue paper all over the the sides of the jug, applying glue onto the jug first, then over the paper to adhere.
6. Cut 1.5" wide strips of felt, enough to go around the opening of the pot.
7. Glue the strip onto the lip of the pot, overlapping both sides, inside and out.

You may use this for actual flowers, or add colored stones or candies and add the flowers in the next project.

What I Like About You Hands
(Have your child choose a special person who will receive the flowers.)
What You Need:
Glue
Scissors
Craft or Popsicle sticks
Construction paper
Pencil
Marker

What to do:
1. Have your child trace and cut out their hands 4-6 times on colored paper (Ares and Marshall used their feet too).  Make enough leaves out of green paper for each flower to have 2.  For younger children trace and cut out their hands for them.
2. Write messages on the hands about what the child likes about the person they have chosen.
3. Glue the hands to the sticks and glue the leaves underneath.

We will be going today to look for rocks for a project next week.  Wish us luck.

No comments: