Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Perfect Baking Weather

Yesterday was one of those summer days when it cools down to be a perfect day for baking.  So the kids and I did some activities that required the use of the oven.  They were fun, but didn't turn out like we would have hoped, maybe one of these days we will try a different recipe. 
I also made the boys a catapult (for launching paper balls) and they each made their own set of beanbag balls (these are NOT used together!!!!).  I found the instructions to the beanbag balls and thought that they would be the perfect activity. 
My brother and I spent one summer learning how to be clowns.  Our mother had taken us to the library and we got this book on how to be a clown (not that my brother needed the book).  We then put on a show for our mom and little sister.  I can still remember some of it and now I found the same book and have gotten it for my children.  We use to be able to juggle 3 balls, I don't know if my brother can anymore, I know I can't.
So now each of the boys have these balls to learn how to juggle and I love the fact that I could make them to fit each of their sizes. 

Beanbag Balls
What you need:
9 (11 in) balloons (makes 3 balls)
Funnel
3/4 cup dried beans
Scissors

What to do:
1. Stretch the first balloon by inflating it halfway, holding it closed for about 30 seconds, and deflating it.
2. Place a funnel in the balloon's neck and gradually add the dries beans until desired size.  The balloon should be firm but squeezable.
3. Snip off the balloon's thick rubber lip.  Cut the neck off a second balloon and gently stretch the opening.
4. Ease the second balloon over the filled balloon, tucking in the neck as you go.
5. Cut the neck off the third balloon, stretch the opening, and ease it over the other two. 
6. This ball is done.  Repeat this process to make a set of three balls, or however many you would like.

Everyone that knows me, knows that I am able to make a schedule for just bout anything, but I have a hard time sticking to it for more than a week.
Well now I am going to try it again before I have to go back to school and work.  I have already made a few changes in my life this summer, so hopefully that is a sign that I can continue down my path of bettering myself and my family.
Changes so far:
Mark and I quit smoking.  Exactly one month today for me!!!!
I started eating 3 meals a day everyday.  I use to skip breakfast and lunch and just eat at supper (unless I was at work then I had to eat all 3).
Starting a project and sticking with it.  I have stuck with the activities that I had planned with the kids, and I started my garden project and have finished it.

Changes I want to make:
Working out on a daily basis.  Mark bought me a Wii fit board about 10 months ago and I barely use it.  I want to start using it everyday to get my day started. 
Sticking to a regular cleaning routine.  My mother always cleans on Saturdays and everything always gets done (even those chores that only get done on occasion).  I clean whenever I think I need to so those most of the things never get done.

Hopefully I can stick to my new goals and get them into my life while things are still calm.  I have a month before I go back to work.  It took me a month to accomplish the first ones so I have another month to add the rest.  Wish us luck, we may need it.

 

No comments: